Stay up to date with the latest announcements and updates about GoGlobal.Green
News from GoGlobal.Green
2021 was the year of the very first edition of GoGlobal.Green. Our small team kick-started an event that supports green and innovative companies. Now we are ready to grow – just like the companies we want to push.
#1 Sebastián Bustamante – South America
Meet Sebastián, our co-host for South America. With his 12+ years of experience developing entrepreneurial ecosystems, through incubation, acceleration and scaling programs he is THE expert when it comes to boosting forward thinking destinations. Additionally, he can contribute his knowledge as a program manager and start up supporter to the conference. As an entrepreneur, Sebastián received a total of eleven awards! He co-founded two operating companies, one of them being Impact Hub Medellín which he currently leads as director. Based in Europe, Sebastián is in charge of developing relations between the EU and Latam ecosystems.
But why is Sebastián so eager to be part of GoGlobal.Green? He and his Impact Hub team are constantly working on creating and enhancing opportunities for their local impact ecosystem. Therefore they see the event as a relevant tool to expose the international ecosystem to Medellin’s local talent and innovation.
#2 Gina Babinec – Canada
Say hi to Gina! She is the Head of Programs and Partnerships at Impact Hub Ottawa, a community and collaborative co-working space designed to empower change-makers striving to build a more just and sustainable world. Building on a background in gender and social policy, Gina is committed to creating brave spaces for connection and collaboration across diverse perspectives and sectors, both in-person and virtually.
Gina is very enthusiastic to participate in the GoGlobal.Green conference as one of our co-hosts because she and her Impact Hub team would love to build more partnerships with green businesses and regions near them. So, anyone who shares their vision of a better future for the world, and the region of Ottawa in particular, is welcome to join!
#3 Martin Jähnert – Europe
Meet Martin! He is Managing Partner of the Impact Hub Leipzig. Situated at the crossroads of two old European trades routes, Leipzig has been birthplace and point of arrival for new concepts and products for centuries. Nowadays it’s a welcoming (and the fastest growing) city in Germany. Martin and his team live co-creation and eye-level exchange, and are connecting other European ecosystems to the conference.
Martin is looking forward to be a part of the GoGlobal.Green conference because his vision and goal is to help sustainable grow and rise to – at some point – make great solutions available to the eight billion people currently living on earth. And where’s there a better place to start this ambitious plan than at an international event like GoGlobal.Green, right?
#4 James Arthur-Amoah – Africa
Say hi to James! He is the Director of Administration and Projects at the Social Entrepreneurship Hub located in Ghana. The SE Hub is an enterprise support organization that uses the effectual principles and the SDGs as guides to assist startups. James has valuable experience and knowledge in diverse sectors such as Education and Research, Healthcare, Finance, Agritech and Project management. His engagement with both international and local stakeholders is evident in his ability to collaborate and foster effective and efficient partnerships. He believes that given the right support, knowledge, and direction, the world is going to be a better place for us all.
James decided to join our GoGlobal.Green co-host team to draw attention to Ghana’s green economy as well as to make meaningful connections with like-minded people.
Win €25,000 to boost your circular economy startup across Europe!
Latest news on climate change send a clear message: It’s time to act! Not only for civil society and politics, but also for the economy. The Green Alley Award celebrates those businesses that are actually working towards a change – with a smart business idea, with a truly ecological product, with a digital tool or green technology enabling a circular economy. It’s the entrepreneurial spirit they are counting on to save the world of tomorrow.
For the eighth time this year, Green Alley Award is eager to learn which ingenious solutions the entrepreneurial world has in store for us. And they are pleased to reward this courage for innovation: Startups sending their pitch deck before 23rd November 2021 get the chance to win €25,000 and meet valuable business contacts!
Who are they looking for?
Do you want to put a stop to the linear economy with its “take, make, dispose” principle? Great! Green Alley Award welcomes startups in their early and growth stages no older than 5 years. Your business based in Europe should engage in waste prevention, recycling or digital technologies.
How to apply and until when?
A pre-selected number of startups will be put on the Green Alley Award’s website for a public vote. The startup with the majority of the votes will be automatically amongst the six finalists. The remaining five will be selected by our expert committee.
When will the Grande Finale take place?
On 28th April 2022, the six finalists will be invited to Berlin, where they will meet circular economy and startup experts in working sessions. In the evening, each of the finalists will have the chance to pitch their idea live on stage. An international jury elects the winner who will receive €25,000.
What does this have to do with GoGlobal.Green?
You are interested in the circular economy and would like to know more about our support to startups? You are not a startup, but would also like to meet circular economy experts and entrepreneurs at the Grande Finale in Berlin?
Visit the Green Alley Award booth at the GoGlobal.Green conference on 22nd – 24th March 2022 and learn more about Europe’s first startup prize!
Have a look at our Wilderness Protection Certificate:
Earlier this year, we told you about the steps we went through to compensate our emissions from the GoGlobal.Green 2021 online event. Now we Are finally certified emission Compensators! You can re-read the detailed blog post here. As a short recap, here is what we did to receive our certificate:
- Calculate the emissions with a carbon footprint calculator.
- Compensate by protecting the wild rainforest.
- Donate to a compensation partner.
During this process, we realized the following: the carbon footprint of this digital conference was comparatively small. That is of course due to the fact that the emissions caused by traveling, hotel accommodations and hosting of the guests are simply saved. So, running an online event not only has advantages in terms of purview and flexibility, but also in terms of climate protection.
Nevertheless, we have of course also compensated for the rather small amount of emissions and are now proud sponsors of 16 sqm of tropical rainforest in Peru’s eastern Amazonia. This area contains as much biomass as is needed to absorb our produced emissions – which are 0,96 t carbon dioxide. With this sponsorship, we support our compensation partner Wilderness International in preventing the release of this stored amount of emissions, since they hold a legal title over the land. At the same time, we are now contributing to the protection of this small patch of rainforest, including its unique habitat. The lazy sloths and aztec ants surely appreciate this!
We think YES! Check out our 3 best practice tips.
- Host your event in the virtual world: One option to host a sustainable event. Events in real life are a huge source for emissions and waste that can be reduced massively by going online. Another advantage of holding your event online is that it’s inclusive to more people: You’ll be able to reach people from all over the globe, from all different time zones. Even audiences that would not have the resources or the time to come can join your event if it is online.
- Compensate your emissions: Compensating for the amount of emissions your event emitted is a good way to take responsibility. With Wilderness International we found a compensation partner that takes a holistic and long-term approach to the issue of carbon compensation. According to the amount of emissions a corresponding area of rainforest is being protected that stores large amounts of carbon in their biomass. The release of stored carbon dioxide can be prevented and and at the same time, precious habitat and biodiversity as well as crucial functions of forests are preserved to benefit our climate.
- Work with likeminded parties: To promote our dream of a climate friendly event, companies that are operating emission-neutral and prove that after their registration get to participate for free! For those who are not, we decided to donate the return of all Company Tickets to our compensation partner Wilderness International. We welcome every participant to check out their work and take the next step on their individual sustainability journey. Because going global only works through sustainable and responsible growth considering the future of our planet.
Hosting an Event Online Can Be Challenging. Find Out What Solutions We Came up with!
- Hopin Virtual Event Venue: When it comes to hosting an online event the platform Hopin allows virtual yet immersive and interactive experiences. For us the perfect translation of offline formats into an online setting. Take a look around the expo area, listen to inspiring speakers on stage or engage in stimulating discussions in one of the sessions. Hopin offers everything an offline event also has except plastic lanyards – and we love it!
- Matchmaking: Like in online dating, we will connect destinations with companies that are interested in each other. Get in contact with your Top matches – Not seeing each other in person is no obstacle to making a connection.
- Hopin Expo Booths: Your own space to interact with new customers. Display videos, presentations or anything you can do in front of your camera! Virtual booths fit more people then a tiny cardboard box at a real convention. Plus they allow for a huge variety of materials: videos, presentations, memes, or anything you can do in front of your camera! Get creative!
Take Responsibility for Your Carbon Footprint! Here’s What We Did.
- Calculate Your Emissions: The first step to a responsible approach to your carbon footprint is to find out exactly how many emissions were caused by your activities. to do this, you can use the emissions calculator from our compensation partner wilderness international.
2. Compensate by Protecting Wild Rainforest: Rainforests store large amounts of carbon in their biomass. By protecting them, we prevent the release of stored carbon dioxide and preserve other crucial functions of forests that benefit our climate. And at the same time, we protect precious habitat and biodiversity forever!
3. Donate to a Compensation Partner: In order to promote responsible and climate friendly actions, we decided to donate the return of all Company Tickets to our compensation partner Wilderness International. We welcome all participants of GoGlobal.Green to check out what they do and to take the next step on their individual sustainability journey. Companies that are certified as emission-neutral already and prove that after their registration participate for free!
Stay Up To Date
Follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn to learn about the lastest announcements, updates and discounts.